This standard outlines the processes and steps a standardizing body must take during the national standard setting process.
The standardising body is responsible for managing the process of standards development. In many cases the standardising body and the National Governing Body (the PEFC National member and responsible for the governance and administration of the system) are the same.
The PEFC General Assembly approved the revised standard on 15 November 2017.
What are the main changes?
One of the areas identified for further improvement was periodic reviews. Periodic reviews aim at ensuring that national systems are consistently updated to meet national and international expectations.
A periodic review includes a gap analysis, public consultation and consideration of feedback received while the standard is in force. Based on such periodic reviews, national standards can be revised or reaffirmed, the latter meaning that they can remain valid for another five-year period.
“The decision to reaffirm the standard will be an advantage for our members, as it avoids a resource consuming revision process if all stakeholders are still satisfied with the current standard,” explained Michael Berger, Head of Technical Unit at PEFC International.
“However, national members must conduct a thorough review and always base their decision to reaffirm the standard on stakeholder approval. Our revised standard now includes specific requirements for the periodic review.”
Other improvements include:
- Alignment to the ISEAL Code of Good Practice for Setting Social and Environmental Standards.
- Consideration of gender balance when selecting stakeholders for the working group.
Revision timeline (completed)
- January – February 2016: Establishment of the Working Group
- April 2016: First WG meeting
- October 2016: Second WG meeting
- March - April 2017: Public consultation
- June 2017: Conference call (third meeting)
- July 2017: WG achieved consensus on the final draft
- 15 November 2017: PEFC General Assembly approved the revised standard
The revised PEFC Standard Setting standard was approved 15 November 2017 .