PEFC job posting - Trees outside Forests Expert
1 July 2022 Sustainable Forest Management
Recognizing the important socio-economic and environmental values of trees outside forests, during the last revision process, the PEFC sustainable forest management requirements were extended to areas that have tree cover but are primarily classified as agriculture or urban areas.
Since 2019, PEFC members could start developing their requirements to include these areas. In 2022, PEFC International began receiving assessment applications for systems that include requirements for trees outside forests.
We are therefore looking for a Trees outside Forests Expert in a contractor relationship to support the development and endorsement process of these requirements.
The Trees outside Forests Expert, under the guidance of the PEFC Technical Unit, will carry out the following tasks:
- Coordinate the establishment and lead the PEFC Trees outside Forests Task Force (TOF-TF) under the Sustainable Forest Management Working Group (SFM-WG).
- Prepare and implement the TOF-TF meetings in close cooperation with the Chair of the SFM-WG and the PEFC Technical Unit (TU).
- Coordinate the TOF-TF work in reviewing the Dutch, Indonesian, and Indian PEFC certification systems requirements for trees outside forest and based on these reviews, deliver background documentation for the consideration of the PEFC International Board.
- Analyse the PEFC requirements applicability and compare them with existing sustainability certification initiatives in agriculture and urban landscapes and share the results verbally and in writing.
- Provide advice on the requirements that certification bodies should fulfil when conducting TOF audits.
- University degree in agriculture, forestry, or environmental studies
- Demonstrated experience in agroforestry and urban forestry in workstations in more than one country
- Solid understanding of land tenure connections and potential challenges in diverse landscapes
- Relevant experience in the field of forest, agricultural, agroforestry certification or similar certification fields
- Demonstrated experience in management of international expert groups
- Excellent English language skills
- Good team player, excellent interpersonal skills with a proactive problem-solving approach to work and time-management skills
- High level of precision and attention to detail, sense of responsibility, and flexibility while maintaining ability to work to a tight time schedule
Formal conditions / requirements
- PEFC offers initially a contract starting 1 September until 31 December 2022 for approximately 40 working days. Possibility of continuation afterwards
- Remuneration commensurate with experience
- Workplace: remote, worldwide. Missions to Geneva are required upon request
- Regular availability and significant overlap of work hours with Geneva headquarter work time required
- Deadline: 31 July 2022
For questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please apply using this online form. Applications by email will not be considered.