Call for nominations: sustainable forest management
16 January 2019 Sustainable Forest Management
PEFC invites stakeholders globally to nominate candidates for the newly established permanent Sustainable Forest Management Working Group.
To nominate a candidate to participate in the working group, please fill out the nomination form. The nomination deadline is 6 February 2019.
Please ensure that your nomination represents one or more of the five stakeholder categories below:
- Certified PEFC scheme users: forest owners and managers; forest based industry (processing and trade) (max. 5)
- Uncertified PEFC scheme users: PEFC scheme assessors; certification bodies; accreditation bodies; consultants (max. 5)
- Customers and consumers: retailer organizations; consumer organizations; institutional consumers of forest based products, including governments (max. 5)
- Civil society: science, environmental, social and other interest groups (max. 5)
- PEFC National Governing Body members (max. 5)
In addition to this wide range of stakeholder interests, we also aim for a balanced representation of genders and regions in the working groups.
Sustainable Forest Management Working Group (WG SFM)
Following a two-year multi-stakeholder standard revision process, the PEFC General Assembly approved the two revised benchmark standards for forest management and group certification in November 2018.
They are now available as PEFC International standards, PEFC ST 1003:2018, Sustainable Forest Management – Requirements and PEFC ST 1002:2018, Group Forest Management Certification – Requirements.
This permanent WG will be responsible for providing guidance on the implementation and interpretation of these benchmarks. This includes the continued development of our newly adopted approach of certification for Trees outside Forests, such as urban trees or agro-forestry.
WG SFM will meet two times a year, mainly in Geneva, Switzerland, but occasionally at other locations. The first meeting is scheduled for 6 – 7 May 2019 in Geneva, Switzerland. Nominate your representative now.
We expect participants to attend the first meeting of WG SFM in person. In subsequent meetings, participation via teleconferencing will be available as back-up option, if required. WG members are expected to participate in WG meetings consistently and in person as much as possible.
PEFC is not in the position to fund WG members’ expenses incurred due to participation in the WG, unless otherwise agreed with PEFC’s Secretary General in writing.